Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alpha Males

I am recovering from what I can only call an Alpha male nightmare. I work as a 911 dispatcher for a medium size police department. I dispatch for the fire department as well. I very seldom if ever, have any problems with the firefighters. The police officers, well I could blog just about the interactions with them and post daily.

I am a very hard worker and somewhat of a perfectionist. I am a Virgo and I hear that comes with the territory. I take pride in my work and I take the job very seriously. I have been on the radio when an officer was shot at and I have been on the phone with suicidal callers who ended their lives. Neither situation is one that you want to handle but you do.

Last night the platoon I work with went rogue. They were just indescribably rude, insensitive and unappreciative. I am not sure how to give 150 percent to a group of men that think collectively like a pack of wolves that they are perfect. I am not sure how to go back to my job and do not only what is required of me but the extra things I do.

I really love what I do. But more and more I find myself stressed over the way my coworkers are treated and the way I am treated. I get so angry when I hear the smart comments over the radio and see the snide remarks on our work messenger. If I could change one thing at my department this is what I would change: I would require all officers to be trained for one month in dispatch as part of his or her probationary training. This would allow the officers a perspective that is so badly needed. I personally have logged hundreds of hours in ride time with officers. I have taken classes that help me to understand the job and I know what they need sometimes before they do.

Too bad I work with a bunch of men who don't appreciate it. Bye for now.

No comments: