Sunday, August 24, 2008

Guilt

Why is guilt so powerful? I am wondering that. My daughter Mallory said something to me that made me feel guilty. My son Joey tried to make me feel guilty for grounding him. I can assure you he would have been better served to watch for pigs flying in the sky. I am sure the feeling of guilt is like a little pat on the shoulder letting you know you still have a conscience. But it sure has strength and reach.

I feel guilty about so many things but that is one of the benefits of being Catholic. Catholics have a market not much different than that of the Dow. It goes up constantly and the Church profits. You sinned and you can give more money to the church and feel a little less guilty!!!

Mother guilt is a guilt that has absolute power. You try and do what is right by your children and one minute you think you are making progress and then boom! You take the ham with you to work and you are likened to that of a mother who has left her children with a barren kitchen and taken the last five dollars to the family name and splurged on McDonalds by yourself. When in reality there was enough food to feed a small third world country. Mother guilt at its finest.

No comments: