Sunday, August 31, 2008

Wanton Waste

Here I am at work, and my house is empty. There are no children there. Unfortunately there is no me there either. I am here at work and the peace and quiet that is screaming through my house is falling on deaf ears. What a waste. There ought to be a law! I should be arrested for the wanton waste of peace and quiet. If my Grandma Zannini were alive she would tell you, "There are millions of parents out there who would die for some peace and quiet and here you are just wasting it!" Actually she worried more about those last little bits of soggy cereal and the banana you started eating out of desperation but could not finish because it really wasn't what you wanted to eat.

I sat here for a moment and thought seriously about pretending to vomit in the bathroom here at work. There would be no choice, I would have to go home. Maybe I can pretend to faint. If you pass out it is really bad form to stay at work, especially if you are supposed to help save people's lives. Most people prefer to be saved by conscious folks. At least that is what I hear.

Oh well. I will get off work and go home to a nice quiet house and maybe today I will actually sleep for six hours straight. That would be a real treat! My kids think that they are sneaky. Mallory will tiptoe into my room and get into my purse. She takes my car keys (no worries she isn't going to drive) and goes out to get my laptop. She brings it in my bedroom and sets it up-I hear none of this. Then she gets on the internet and plays music. She is a straight A student. Why she bothers to be quiet with the whole snatch and grab operation I will never understand. Once I raise my head up and look at her-guess what she does? She puts her hands across her eyes like a 3 year old as if she is preventing me from seeing her!!!!

I have a favorite saying. Kids-they just don't get it. And they don't. That is why mothers must put the curse on their children. If we don't tell them "You just wait until you have kids of your own" their kids will be born perfect and remain perfect for all time. We want better for our kids than what we have in every way but this. This is one time we want our kids to have it worse! That is what makes parenting worthwhile. Revenge. A dish best served cold!

Bye for now!

No comments: