I love so many different types of music and so many different types of movies. I have been dubbed the proverbially "sappy chick" yet I love movies like "Running Scared" and "Colors" and can jam to tunes from Ozzy as well as John Denver. I think that I am drawn to such different music and movies because of emotion.
If I am feeling sad, I am more likely to watch "Hope Floats" or "While You Were Sleeping" but if I am straight up depressed I will reach for the likes of "Catch and Release" or "Steel Magnolias" on my DVD shelf. If I am feeling peppy I will watch "Rush Hour" or "Catwoman".
With music it is much more obvious. I love country music. But if I am mad there are only a few country songs that will do the trick. I need music like White Stripe or Metallica or AC/DC. I actually have a CD that I made for just such an occasion. I also have a CD that I made for when I am happy and sad.
I am narrow minded when it comes to choosing music, but I am lucky. My kids are instinctive when they know I will like a song. They will tell me to listen and they are right 99.9 percent of the time. They help me to branch out and listen to new things. Otherwise, I might still be listening to the Carpenters!
Today my daughter sent me a text message as we passed each other on the road and she told me to turn my station. I did and I got to listen to a bubblegum station playing Miley Cyrus. But I actually liked the song. It is a good thing I have kids...I just keep telling myself they have all kinds of benefits.
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment