As I walked I had many thoughts. My mind was firing like an AR-15. I started pondering life and here are some observations from the road. I have photos with some which I took with my phone. The first mile I walked I wondered why the hell there are no sidewalks in the country. The speed limit is 55 throughout the county unless otherwise posted. Sidewalks would be a major investment but think of all the pedestrians struck walking in the roads that would be saved. People either veer twenty feet over into oncoming traffic to avoid coming close to you or they come as close to you as possible as if to test your resolve. My resolve was solid. I have lots of insurance and a hospital stay would mean someone is bringing me meals and I could get some sleep.
People in rural areas are friendly. I am by birthright a Northerner. My ex-husband used to make cracks about how unfriendly Northerners were. Well I have to say that people in the country are more friendly. As I walked every other person that passed me, waved. Some people even smiled. Probably they were smiling because they thought I was nuts. Who walks in this weather? Only me. Who walks and runs where there are no sidewalks? Me. I had a lot on my mind.
For instance, what happened to Freddy the frog here? Well this is what happens when you walk in an area with no sidewalks. Oh and when it is 95 degrees outside. If Freddy had a supergirl hat like mine, he would have been okay. Gay, but okay.
But he got scattered, smothered and covered like some hash browns from the Waffle House. He was the first dead thing I passed. Then there was a butterfly and this poor little bird.
Country living is not for the faint of heart. I also saw a skunk but he looked like he could have been in an episode of CSI and I decided not to subject you to that.I walked further and I noticed that there were a lot of trucks pulling boats. In fact I would say trucks outnumbered the cars 3 to 1. Which had me wondering how all these folks afford gas. I thought gas was outrageous and the country was struggling because of gas prices. Now, I am wondering if it is just me. Filling up the trucks would be bad enough but the boat too! I will stick with my Corolla.
As I continued on I found several socks-are they yours? I am so happy to finally know where socks go.
I walked and walked and another thing I noticed that really bothered me was how much litter there was on the side of the road. Apparently they need to start showing that Indian commercial like they did when I was a kid. The one where the tear rolled down his cheek as he stood in a pile of garbage. Please put litter in its place!One of the funniest things I saw was a glass jar. I know, what is so funny about a glass jar? Well there is this neat little candle shop in Corydon called Candles by Lisa. They have great smelling candles and what I really like about her shop is that you can bring any dish or jar to her and she will fill it with the candle of your choosing! Perfect for the person that has everything or when you just want to reuse a jar or dish. Anyway, someone reused her candle jar.
If only this jar could talk. Bye for now!

1 comment:
what was in the jar?
Post a Comment