Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Well I will post pictures later today, but my failure to post has been directly related to the lack of electricity. And water. And phone service. And cable. Did I mention that my kids are not pioneers in any sense of the word? Okay, so maybe I am not a pioneer that should have children. No power is fine by me, but having a house full of children and candles and oil lamps around with fire shooting out of them, ON PURPOSE, well it just does not sit well with me. Made me a nervous wreck.

Kids really don't know how to spend time without electronics these days. My son Zachary is absolutely beyond words just two days into this sans electricity thing. I really feel like I could string him up from a tree if there were any trees left standing on my property. So I did what any sensible mother would do. Or any single mother would do. I took him to his Dad's house. :o)

My roof on my garage is missing, well parts of it are missing. There is wood showing which is not a good thing. Shingles are laying with their back side showing (how embarrassing) and well my water line conveniently snapped in true hurricane fashion. Go IKE! I was thinking of the Hillshire Farms commercial "go meat" and that is where that came from. There are shingles from the roof on my house laying helter skelter throughout my yard.

There are leaves everywhere, and I am really having major concerns about the way fall may turn out. I love summer, it is my favorite. But fall is so beautiful. Usually. When a hurricane doesn't blow through at 81 mph and ripping the leaves off the trees like a stripper in heat! But no sense worrying just yet. I once took pictures of the same leaves every week for four months just so I could compare the change. That gives you an idea of how much I love the change of color in the fall.

Hurricane Ike hit southern Indiana, it was dry here. My sister lives in St. Louis and they had a deluge of rain. I am glad it was dry and just wind damage because I can only imagine what it would look like if it was raining here as well. Thank you God for the small blessing!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You say Hillshire, I say farms

Hillshire Farms